Kruger National Park Regions, Rangers and Park Sections
The Kruger National Park is a large expanse of wild territory full of amazing flora and fauna. It has been split into 4 regions (Central, North, Far North, South) from north to south and some 22 ranger sections shown in the map below.
The rangers are charged with protecting all the inhabitants of the Kruger for the benefit of the people of South Africa.
Some of the duties of rangers involve anti poaching, census studies, fire patrol and protection as well keeping an eye open for disease and unusual occurrences. For example there was recent outbreak of Anthrax in the northern region near Pafuri in which 15 animals were found to have died. The rangers would monitor the situation closely alongside expert veterinary personnel based in the Kruger Park.
Kruger Park Sections map ... click map to enlarge
The names of the rangers for each section at the time of writing are shown below along with the size of the areas (measured in Hectares; 1 Ha = 10,000 sq metres) they are responsible for. Info supplied by Kruger National Park Scientific Department.
- Houtboschrand Basane-Claire Ntshane Assistant Ranger Central Region 114,686
- Kingfisher Spruit Richard Sowry Section Ranger Central Region 76,772
- Lower Sabie Derick Mashale Section Ranger Central Region 79,351
- N'wanetsi Thomas Ramabulana Assistant Ranger Central Region 91,301
- Satara Albert Machaba District Ranger Central Region 94,525
- Tshokwane Steven Whitfield Section Ranger Central Region 117,259
- Pafuri Sandra Basson Assistant Ranger Far North Region 74,296
- Punda Maria Thomas Mbokota Section Ranger Far North Region 79,247
- Shangoni Lombard Shirindza Section Ranger Far North Region 80,591
- Shingwedzi Kobus Wentzel District Ranger Far North Region 79,529 (Kobus Wentzel was the person to whom I reported the Babala and Elvis elephant incident to) Elephant Terrorises Elvis at Babala Picnic Spot Kruger National Park
- Vlakteplaas Reckson Seani Assistant Ranger Far North Region 107,624
- Woodlands David Manganye Assistant Ranger Far North Region 115,172
- Letaba Joe Nkuna District Ranger North Region 55,782
- Mahlangeni Karen Loubser Assistant Ranger North Region 116,082
- Mooiplaas Johann Oelofse Section Ranger North Region 103,154
- Olifants Oupa Modirwa Assistant Ranger North Region 69,598
- Phalaborwa Louis Olivier District Ranger North Region 103,532
- Crocodile Bridge Neels van Wyk Assistant Ranger South Region 82,538
- Malelane Bruce Leslie Section Ranger South Region 53,072
- Pretoriuskop Dalton Masbasa Assistant Ranger South Region 52,375
- Skukuza Mbongeni Tukela District Ranger South Region 84,321
- Stolsnek Rob Thompson Assistant Ranger South Region 67,633
Lion Distribution in Various Park Sections ... click to enlarge
In this map I have shown the lion distribution as mapped by rangers using handheld GPS and PDA's (Cybertracker system) for the period March 2005 to February 2006. Shingwedzi data was not collected for the whole period.